Feedlot Permit Program

Information for New and Expanding Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)

The following is a description of five different maps. The primary purpose of these maps is to provide information on the best possible locations for siting a livestock feeding operations. It is important to note that there may be appropriate sites for livestock feeding operations located in or adjacent to the areas marked on these maps. If a site is chosen in or near these areas, the maps do provide advance notice to the planners that there may be environmental issues that need to be resolved during the permit process or additional regulatory requirements that will have to be met. This may increase the time it takes to get a site approved.

Waterbody Support Status
This map shows the locations of streams and lakes in the state that require development of a Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL). Typically, this means that the waterbody is not meeting its assigned water quality standards. A TMDL is an evaluation of the sources of pollution in the watershed and how best to address those pollution sources so the waterbody can meet its standards. The different colors on the map show the priority that the state has assigned that waterbody. If a stream or lake is on this list, it is likely that it already has existing water quality problems. So, locating a new livestock feeding operation near a waterbody on this list will undergo more scrutiny by DANR and maybe additional regulatory requirements to ensure the new operation does not contribute to existing problems.

SD DENR Section 319 TMDL Assessment and Implementation Projects
This map shows watersheds where water quality improvement projects are being developed, implemented, or completed. Typically, these same watersheds will likely be included in the TMDL waters map discussed above. In these areas, considerable federal, state, and local funding has been devoted to cleanup the watershed so that the waterbody can meets its water quality standards. As with the TMDL waters list, any new livestock feeding operation locating in these areas will likely receive additional DENR scrutiny and may be subject to additional regulatory requirements to ensure the new operation does not contribute to existing problems.

Statewide Ground Water Quality Monitoring Network
This map shows the locations of shallow ground water and the state ground water monitoring network. This map may be used to determine general shallow ground water boundaries. If locating in these areas, state law requires that DANR require either ground water monitoring or a ground water discharge permit to ensure the aquifer is protected. It is important to note that this map does not identify all the shallow aquifers that may be present in South Dakota. Providing the site-specific information required through the state permitting process will identify these other shallow aquifers.

Permeable Surface Sediments in South Dakota
This map shows the areas in South Dakota where the sediments at the surface of the ground are permeable (allow water to easily move through it). In these areas, because of the permeability, pollution is more likely to reach ground water. If locating in these areas, there may be additional regulatory requirements for a livestock feeding operation to ensure ground water is protected. There are likely many areas in South Dakota that have permeable surface sediments that will only be identified through site-specific information required by the state permitting system.

DANR Permitted Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation
This map identifies the location where a livestock feeding operation has obtained permit coverage from DANR. Information concerning facilities that are approved but not yet permitted may be obtained from DANR.

Topeka Shiner Map
This map was developed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to identify streams where Topeka Shiners have been observed or have potentially occupied and must be used to determine if an Endangered Species Action Plan will need to be submitted with a permit application for the proposed general permit.

Questions? Please contact Troy Roth.