Waste Management

Responsible for DANRs regulatory efforts in the areas of solid waste, hazardous waste, and asbestos. The office is also responsible for coordination of the state's solid waste recycling efforts, provides assistance to disposal of waste pesticides, recycles pesticide containers, and responsible for registering industrial use radiological materials and radiation producing machines.


Regulating the removal, storage, and handling of asbestos containing construction, renovation, and demolition debris.

View details »

Hazardous Waste

Enforcing the state's hazardous waste rules and regulations. These management standards apply to generators and transporters of hazardous waste, used oil, and universal waste.

View details »


Promoting local recycling programs and provides assistance to the general public.

View details »

Solid Waste

Regulates the storage, treatment, and disposal of solid waste in South Dakota. In addition, this section provides technical assistance, issues permits, conducts solid waste facility inspections, and investigates solid waste disposal complaints.

View details »

Pesticide Container Recycling & Waste Pesticide Collection

Provides assistance for disposal of unusable waste pesticide and pesticide container recycling.

View details »

Radioactive Materials & Radiation Machines

All industrial use radiological materials or radiation producing machines are required to be registered with the DANR.

View details »

How can I dispose of my old, used tires?

Waste tires must be dropped off at a solid waste facility permitted to accept waste tires. There are many permitted facilities around the state where waste tires are accepted for temporary storage and then transported to processing or disposal facilities.

Is a solid waste permit required for the disposal or management of waste tires?

A solid waste permit is required whenever tire wastes are stored, buried, or partially buried.

My business generates hazardous waste. Do we have to notify of hazardous waste generation?

A business must notify of hazardous waste generation if any of the following apply:

  1. The business generates 220 pounds or more of hazardous waste in a calendar month;
  2. The business generates 2.2 pounds or more of an "acute" hazardous waste per calendar month;
  3. The business stores 2.2 pounds or more of an "acute" hazardous waste at any one time; or
  4. The business stores 2,200 pounds or more of hazardous waste at any one time

The notification form is available upon request or by clicking on rcrapublic.epa.gov/rcrainfoweb/documents/rcra_subtitleC_forms_and_instructions.pdf

My company generates hazardous waste. Do we have to submit a Biennial Hazardous Waste Report?

A business is required to complete and file a hazardous waste biennial report if the site was a Large Quantity Generator during the past odd numbered year (for example the years 2011 or 2013) and/or if the company was/is permitted to treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste during the past odd numbered year.

How can I dispose of my used oil?

Oil generated by do-it-yourselfers (DIY) from personal vehicles can be taken to local automotive businesses where it is added to their used oil. Oil generated as a result of any business activity, including home-based and very small businesses, must be managed through an approved used oil hauler. Click here to search for a list of used oil haulers or view the Recycling Facilities Interactive GIS Map.

Can I burn used oil in my shop stove?

Yes. As long as you burn used oil generated on-site or accepted from homeowners; use a space heater manufactured for the burning of used oil; use a space heater with a capacity of no more than 0.5 million Btu per hour; and vent exhaust gases to the outdoors.

What guidelines have to be followed during building demolition or renovation?

When you perform a building demolition or renovation job at any institutional, commercial, public, or industrial building, you are subject to notification requirements and emission control requirements. In addition, inspections may be conducted. Residential buildings having four or fewer dwelling units including houses, duplexes, barns, and other outbuildings, are not required to meet these requirements.

What are the requirements for removing asbestos floor tile and asphalt roofing material?

There are a number of requirements that need to be followed. They pertain to type and quantity of material and to the removal process.

Can I dispose of my household generated medical waste with my household garbage?

Your household medical waste, generally consisting of syringes and needles, can be disposed in your garbage. Prior to placement in the garbage, it is highly recommended that the medical waste be rendered noninfectious, placed in a rigid container, and labeled appropriately. If you have questions about how to render a particular medical waste noninfectious, you should contact the South Dakota Department of Health at (605) 773-3356 for assistance.

Do I need a permit if I want to bury concrete rubble?

No. The Administrative Rules of South Dakota (ARSD) 74:27:07:01 define rubble as "stone, brick, concrete, or similar inorganic material, excluding ash, waste tires, trees, yard waste, and regulated asbestos-containing waste materials". These inorganic materials can be buried or used as fill material without a state solid waste permit.

What are the common recyclable materials that I can recycle from my household garbage? What type of recycling facilities are located in the area I live in?

The common recyclable materials found in household garbage are: aluminum cans, steel/tin cans, plastic, paper, magazines, newspapers, and cardboard. View our Recycling Facilities Interactive GIS Map.

I was cleaning out the barn and found some old pesticides. What should I do with them and is there anyone who can help me?

The DANR offers a waste pesticide disposal program. Please contact the Waste Management Program at 605.773.3153 for assistance.