Inspection, Compliance
& Remediation

Pesticide Applicators and Dealers

The South Dakota Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources (DANR) is the lead agency administering the pesticide certification program required by the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). Under the authority of South Dakota state law (38-21), administrative rules (12:56), and FIFRA, the DANR trains, certifies, and licenses pesticide applicators, and licenses pesticide dealers.


Generally speaking, if you apply pesticides for hire or are a government employee that applies pesticides while performing your work duties, you must have a commercial applicator license.

You are considered a commercial applicator if:
  • Engage in the business of applying pesticides to the lands of another;
  • Advertise as being in the business of applying pesticides to the lands of another at any time;
  • Apply pesticides while in the performance of duties as a governmental employee; or
  • Otherwise act as a commercial applicator.

Commercial applicator certification and licensure is valid for two years and must be renewed by March 1st. A fee of $35 is charged for a commercial applicator license. The SDDANR maintains a searchable database of commercial applicators.

Commercial applicators must initially pass certification exams to become eligible for a license. Click here for a list of sites around the state where you can take certification exams.

The National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Manual may be a useful resource for applicators and dealers seeking certification. Several specific categories of commercial certification are available. Click here to see the certification category list.

To re-certify, commercial recertification classes are offered annually. To register for recertification classes, click here. Additionally, there are some classes offered outside of South Dakota that qualify for recertification credit. Click here to see the list of out-of-state classes.

You must be certified to be eligible to purchase a commercial license. To pay for a commercial license by mailing a check or to submit a reciprocity request, please include a completed South Dakota Commercial Pesticide Applicator and Dealer License Application.

To pay for a license online, click here.

Private applicator certification is required before an agricultural producer can purchase or use a restricted use pesticide. A producer who has the potential of producing more than $1,000 of an agricultural commodity must be certified to use any pesticide. Private applicator certification is obtained by attending a certification meeting or taking the online test. There is no fee for a private applicator certification, which is valid for three years and expires on the last day of February.

The DANR offers training for private applicators. You may access the 2022 online private applicator training options by clicking here. Private applicators may also obtain certification by passing an online test.

The DANR maintains a searchable database of private applicators.

If you are a non-South Dakota commercial applicator looking to do business in South Dakota, please see our guide to apply for reciprocity.

The DANR licenses pesticide dealers who do business in South Dakota. Commercial dealers must pass a certification exam to become eligible for a license. To apply for a dealer license, please complete the South Dakota Commercial Pesticide Applicator and Dealer License Application. A fee of $75 is charged for a pesticide dealer license. Commercial dealers must initially pass a certification exam to become eligible for a license.

Dealers are required to maintain records of sales of restricted use pesticides (RUPs). The below forms may be used to maintain such records:

While a certified applicator must apply a RUP, it is permissible for someone who is not a certified applicator to purchase or pick up a RUP with written permission from the certified applicator. Click here, for an example of an acceptable form of written permission. Such written permission must be filed by the dealer as part of the required RUP record.